Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Simcoe and Chinook Single Hop

So for my first beer after moving to Minneapolis (and getting the rest of my brewing supplies that my buddy in Chicago had) I decided I'd brew up a nice light bodied beer and split the batch to single hop with Simcoe's and Chinooks. I wanted Simcoe and a buddy suggested the Chinooks. I'm usually more of a fruity hop type guy (C-Hops) but these both sounded like nice choices that I'm not as familiar with.


Since I still hadn't bought a full sized pot that I could boil a entire 5 gal batch in, I did this inside on my stove. I did have two stainless steal pots though that could handle a split 4 gal batch since they were 5 gal and 4 gal respectively. The base of the recipe was something I found online that was someones made up version of Pliny the Elder (I wish I could find the link to give credit but I didn't realize I'd be doing this half-assed blog). I decided it would be a good recipe to really showcase the hops off.



My brew day was a little shaky since I wasn't 100% sure how I was going to evenly split the batch split. I decided that after I vorlauf I'd just evenly pour the wort into each pot about 4 cups at a time. I did the same with the sparge water and that seemed to work okay. It was hard to tell if the batches were even though since one pot was 4 gal and the other was 5 gal. From there, everything went fairly smoothly.

Recipe -
--------------------
Batch Size - 4 Gallons
Boil Size - 5.3 Gallons
Total Grains - 12.8lbs
Anticipated OG - 1.092
Boil Time - 90 min


Grains
--------------------
11.2lbs 2 Row Base (37ppg, 1.5L) - 87.5%
0.8lbs Sugar - Cane (42ppg, 0L) - 6.3%
0.4lbs Crystal 40L (42ppg, 40L) - 3.1%
0.4lbs Wheat (38ppg, 2L) - 3.1%


(Batch Split)

Hops
--------------------
(1/2 Batch)
1oz Simcoe (13% Plug) - 90 min
1/2oz Simcoe (13% Plug) - 60 min
1/2oz Simcoe (13% Plug) - 30 min
1/2oz Simcoe (13% Plug) - 5 min
1/2oz Simcoe (13% Plug) - Dry Hopped 7 days


(other 1/2 batch)
1oz Chinook (13% Plug) - 90 min
1/2oz Chinook (13% Plug) - 60 min
1/2oz Chinook (13% Plug) - 30 min
1/2oz Chinook (13% Plug) - 5 min
1/2oz Chinook (13% Plug) - Dry Hopped 7 days


Yeast
--------------------
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale (73-77%, 60-72F)


Brewed October 10th 2009

10/10/2009
Original gravity of both beers were way lower than expected at 1.060. Again my efficiency continues to suck and ended up around 50% (uggghhh....). I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong (grain crush? channeling?) and quick. Since I just split up the batch I don't exactly know how much wort I started with but it should be somewhere around 2.65 gallons per pot. The 5 gal pot is a little wider though so I know I got a bit more boil off on that particular batch (the Simcoe was in the 5 gal pot). This whole thing is by the seat of my pants though so I'm not too worried about it.


10/24/2009
Final gravity checked in at a unbelievable 1.012. Racked both beers and added a 1/2oz of the respective beers hops. Starting to rethink this whole plug hop idea considering I lost quite a bit of wort when racking.


11/1/2009
Racked into my bottling bucket and again lost probably another 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of wort from the massive swelling of the plug hops. The gravity even fell another point or two to somewhere between 1.011 or 1.010. Crazy, I screwed something up that it ended up this dry. I used the small Munton's CarbTabs for the first time on this beer because I've had problems with even carbonation using just dissolved sugar.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh...the beauty of creativity mixed with hunger for knowledge and experience...oh yeah...and good beer!
    Question, When you split up (4-5 gallon) small batch's, do you split them into small 3 gallon carboy's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nick - Sorry, just now saw this comment!

    I actually just used the two 5 gal carboys I had. I think the 3 gal one's (which I've recently purchased for the Blood Orange Pale) would have made this way easier. I lost A LOT of beer in the secondary to the plug hops and had a hard time maximizing how much I could get out in the 5 gal carboys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I guess I never thought of that. I've always been more worried about oxidation with so little wort/beer in a 5 gallon carboy. Once in a while I have a couple carboy's hanging around. I'll have to split up a batch soon...maybe a stout, and a coffee stout, or a brown ale, and a coffee brown. Ummm...I'm thirsty now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well honestly since they were just for IPA's, I'm not worries about oxidation. I figure I'll drink them soon enough that the flavors of oxidation won't have time to settle in. I ended up doing this same thing for the Blood Orange and Mango Pale Ales.

    BUT, saying all of that. When I brewed with my buddy back in IL we purged the carboys before we racked the beer into them. But I don't have a kegorator yet so no purging.

    ReplyDelete