Monday, February 15, 2010

Tasting: Three Hour Tour Clone

Appearance- Pours a super dark black with light edges of dark brown near the top where light is able to penetrate. A nice two finger medium brown head forms thats nice and creamy. A beautiful cap and collar is maintained the entire beer unfortunatly little, if any, lacing remains.
Smell- Nice light chocolaty tones that are on the milk chocolate side along with a bit of sweet cream. The coconut isn’t all that potent in the nose but you can definitely tell it’s there. It’s got a light Mounds Bar smell going but not quite as potent as was Town Hall’s version. The coconut mixed with the light sweetness has a almost vanilla like smell.
Taste- Starts with a bit of lightly sweet milk chocolate and a bit more of that milky cream from the lactose. Definitely not too sweet though and I’m very happy with the amount of lactose that I added. The coconut is much lighter than it tasted when I bottled this and I think if I could have kegged this brew the coconut would have been a bit more intense. The finish is lightly chocolaty with a very light tinge of bitterness. Nothing really hoppy though, more of a charred bitter.
Mouthfeel- Even though I only used 3 carb tabs in this one it’s pretty well carbonated. I wish the carbonation was a bit less and it was a bit finer. The body ended being okay though as it’s around a light medium and not as thin as I was expecting.
Drinkability- Overall I’d say I’m somewhat happy with this brew. I wish the coconut was a bit more pronounced and I think I’d use a bit more crystal for more of a caramel flavor mixed in. The oats really would have aided in the mouthfeel as well. If I ever brew again I think I might toast some coconut and “dry hop” with those too. Definitely not bad but not 100% what I was wanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment